Professor Alok Chansoriya
Head, Department of P.G. Studies in English
Hawabagh Women’s College, Jabalpur
It was 16th morning of the first month of the year 2016 when we proceeded for the fort of Singaurgarh situated at Singrampur tehsil in the district of Damoh to witness the relics of the fort which has been the residence of the Gond king Dalpat Shah and his Queen Durgavati (October 5, 1524- June 24, 1564) during the 16th century.
Despite snowfall in Himachal Pradesh the sky here was clear and the bright rays of the rising sun, teasing the winters, has made the journey comfortable enough, despite sitting in a school bus with all its melodies no less audible than the beats of the present day DJs. Indubitably, the credit for comfort goes to the smoothness of road acquired by the people of this region after long years of demand and struggle. We reached Sadhna Guest house by 10.10. It was a beautifully built guest house with stone façade constructed by late Ratnesh Solomon, former Minister in the Govt. of M.P. and three times MLA from this assembly constituency, in memory of his wife Late Sadhnaji. On instructions from Shri Aditya (Ratneshji’s son), Shri Bhagchand Yadav, Sarpanch of the place, greeted us with a broad smile on his face reflecting his warmth and affection for the people, who had been close to his political mentor, Ratneshji. He was courteous enough to call upon the forest incharge of the area Mr. Rajput who showed his benevolence to make proper arrangements for us to visit the fort and the lake located at a distance of hardly 01 kilometer from the “Hathi Dwar” of the fort. Bhagchand even deployed his person Chotu to guide and escort us to the sites.